This is a sponsored post in partnership with The Motherhood on behalf of UPMC.
Picture this: You and your husband are taking a vacation with your kids. You’re away from home and it’s hard enough to keep a small humans happy and healthy in a familiar place – but you’re about to take your family somewhere you’ve never been. So, after what seems like the longest flight you’ve ever been on (really only one hour and 50 mins), you all head to the hotel and notice that your son is coughing. By the time you check in he feels warm and has a rash on his belly. What?! Not on vacation! He can’t get sick here! You have no idea where the Urgent Care is or the local pharmacy, for that matter. Your husband says, “Sick kid on vacation – is there an app for that?”
I am so very excited to tell you that YES – There’s an app for that! It’s called UPMC Anywhere Care!
The UPMC Anywhere Care app allows you to have a face to face visit with a UPMC doctor right from your phone, tablet or desktop! The app is free and it’s free to sign up for an account. Visits start at $49, but for those with UPMC Health Plan, the cost is similar to the cost of a PCP co-pay. So, even if you don’t have UPMC insurance, you can access a UPMC doctor for $49 per virtual visit.
Here’s how it works:
- Download the free UPMC Anywhere Care app and sign up for a free account.
- When someone in your household is sick, you can use the app to find the appropriate UPMC doctor for your virtual visit. You will be able to scroll through and read about available doctors. You will even be able to see what languages they can speak and their specialties.
- After you choose a doctor, you will be notified when your visit will begin. You can choose to use video chat or audio only. You can also send photos if necessary.
- If a prescription is required, it will be sent to the nearest pharmacy for your convenience.
- If you’re in Pennsylvania (PA), you’ll be connected with a UPMC doctor. If you’re are outside of PA, you can still use Anywhere Care, but you’ll see doctors staffed from American Well (Online Care Group).
When I heard about this app, my mind started recalling all the times it would have saved me time and unnecessary anxiety.
· Not having to wait until your PCP can get you in.
· Not having to take your already sick kid out in the freezing winter air to go to the doctor.
· Not having to pay for parking at the hospital ;)
I urge you to take the stress out of being sick and download the free UPMC Anywhere Care app so you are ready for the inevitable, non-emergent illness. Some of the most common visits fall into the following diagnoses:
- Upper respiratory infection
- Urinary tract infection
So, next time you are packing for vacation, be sure you have the UPMC Anywhere Care app with you, so you will have one less thing to worry about and maybe you will actually be able to relax!
And for more great health information from UMPC, check out their blog: UPMC’s HealthBeat
Thanks to Momtourage mama, Kayt Bech, for the great write-up!