We love that Pittsburgh is full of family-friendly events on our summer weekends! But sometimes parents work on the weekends, or we are scheduled with other commitments and of course, stay at home parents are always looking for ideas throughout the week. So each week I am highlighting 5 awesome Pittsburgh family venues. Many of these are open every day and planning a visit is very flexible. Hope it's helpful!
- Monday, August 4th, is FREE admission day at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens! These days can be busy, but it's also a great way to check out local venues and see if they are worth it to go back. Enjoy the Summer Flower Show, Butterfly Forest and Tropical Forest Conservatory. The Summer Flower Show takes you on a grand journey as small-scale trains wind through summer flowers in the glasshouse and the Garden Railroad takes center stage. It features a variety of imaginative railroad displays enhanced by flowers, plants and interactive features.
- The Citiparks Roving Art Cart features great art projects from around the world. Sadly, this is the last week for this summer for the Roving Art Cart! Have fun making Amazon rain sticks, Chinese dragons, colorful masks and much more. These are all FREE as well! Find the Art Cark this week 10am - 1pm here:
August 5th / Swisshelm Playground – Swisshelm Park
August 6th / Banksville Park – Banksville
August 7th / Davis Park – Hobart Street – Squirrel Hill
August 8th / Riverview Park – Observatory Entrance.
- Join the Pgh Momtourage on Wednesday at Wiltshire Park! Park amenities include a seal that sprays water, a sand box, playground & swings. There is also a small creek that runs through the park. Only downside is there are no restrooms, so you may want to bring a portable potty if you have a child that might need one. :) Bring your lunch and a picnic blanket, sand toys, towel, & lots of water for a warm August! Wiltshire Park, Upper St Clair, PA 15241. RSVP here.
- Beat the heat and head to Fun Fore All. Ballocity is FREE all day on Thursday and is three stories of fun for the whole family! Each level has something different that adds up to over 30 interactive things to enjoy. Air cannons shoot foam balls, “Ballcano” - blasts foam balls high into the air and a four story slide! It’s big enough for adults to get in on the fun also and there is also a separate toddler area for the little ones. (The air cannons can be loud!)
- Bloomfield Saturday Market - this is an extra special week to check this out because of the Snack Drive to benefit Jeremiah's Place! Read full details of how you can be a part of the snack drive here. But besides the fun of the Farmers Market, there will also be great kids activities including free face painting, the Volunteer Princesses, live music, and lots more! Saturday, August 9, 9am - 1pm. 5050 Liberty Avenue, 15224, (between S. Winebiddle and Gross Streets).