Are you in full swing summer mode yet? We just returned from two weeks out of state, so I feel like our summer has just begun! Having 4 kids in close age range (7, 5, 5, 4) means I have to be very strategic about planning activities for us to do together that won't involve crazy conflict. :-/ We don't make a lot of specific plans too far in advance as I like for our summers to feel very carefree. But I love that summer is an opportunity for our family to explore together a multitude of fun areas all around Pittsburgh without the rush of schedules and other commitments. We try to soak up all the sun we can and spend as much time outdoors as possible! Before we left for our vacation, I gathered with a few in-the-know Pittsburgh mamas and we came up with a lot of great ideas for summer fun.
The best part? Many of these won't cost you anything! We also experience many of these venues together at our twice-a-month Pgh Momtourage playdates. You can find our full schedule here.
Check out some of our favorites listed below!
Here are a few other ideas from our mamas of summer family fun:
- Head to Moraine State Park to rent bikes, rent boats, hike the trails or swim at the Lake Arthur beach.
- Three Rivers Regatta (North Shore, August 5-7) where your kids will love watching boat races, playing on the temporary beach, walking through the mist’ers + much more. You Gotta Regatta!
- Beechwood Farms offers a beautiful natural playground, walking trails and room to explore. All free and open to the public!
- Cranberry Township Community Waterpark has an affordable admission fee that includes a pool, waterslides, splash pad, mini beach + more!
- The (free) outdoor gardens at Phipps Conservatory and Frick Park both offer beautiful settings surrounded by nature! Schenley Plaza also offers a large, green space with plenty of room for kids to run and play. Take advantage of the carousal or head to Carnegie Library to cool off and spend time in their kid’s area.
- Sewickley Night Mart & Squirrel Hill Night Mart (certain Friday evenings) both include vendors, food trucks & family fun.
- Beat the heat with Free movies at Phoenix Theatres three times a week or the $1 Summer Movie Clubhouse at Cinemark Settlers Ridge or McCandless Crossing!
- Café Date 4 Kids in Brookline is one of our favorite indoor play areas and makes a great rainy day venue! Includes a bounce house, ball pit, seesaw, monkey bars, climbing wall, jungle gym, enclosed baby area, snack bar + more.
If I have learned anything in motherhood, it's that FOOD must follow the crowd. I'm constantly packing lunches and snacks to take on the go. There is no fury like a HANGRY toddler, am I right? :) :) But sometimes you get caught with a need for food asap and that's why I am loving the new option from Chick-Fil-A to order from my phone and have our food ready when we get there!
I met up with my mama friends at Chick-Fil-A where they introduced us to their new CFA One app. This is truly revolutionary for any parent that has ever stood in a restaurant food line with kids running circles around their legs. 82 percent of parents would do almost anything to avoid long lines at fast food restaurants when you have your children in tow, so I guess I'm not alone! :)
What is Chick-fil-A One? Simply put, it’s a digital app that brings together mobile ordering, mobile payment, fun giveaways and even a way to place online catering orders. Chick-fil-A is a company known to put customers first. They developed this app based on customer feedback, so it was specifically designed to give guests an even more convenient and personalized experience in their restaurants.
How Chick-fil-A One is helpful for families:
- Order and pay in advance, meaning you can skip the line at the register, speeding up the process of waiting at the counter or drive-thru.
- Customize your order so each person gets exactly what they want.
- Bypassing the line at Chick-fil-A is an awesome perk, especially if you visit during peak lunch and dinner times!
- A new way of saying “thank you” to guests with free food offers, based on their preferences and previous orders. When you order or purchase through Chick-fil-A One, you get closer to your next free offering and can track your progress in the app.
- It makes families’ dining experiences at Chick-fil-A easy and convenient – and there are some built in surprises as well!
- A-List, Kids Club and other ways that guests interact with your local Chick-fil-A will also be a part of Chick-fil-A One.
- Membership is open to anyone over the age of 13.
So don't delay! Download Chick-fil-A One via iTunes or Google Play, or simply by tweeting #CFAOne with the horizontal cow emoji to receive a prompt to download the app from Twitter directly to their mobile device.Share how you use Chick-fil-A One! Use the hasthags #CFAPgh and #CFAOne to spread the word about this incredible mobile experience.
Thanks to Chick Fil A and The Motherhood for sponsoring this post and to Brown Mamas & Sugar Aunts for all working together for these Pittsburgh Summer Hacks! All opinions remain my own.